Structure, Weightage, and Difficulty Levels of the MDCAT 2023


The Medical and Dental College Admission Test (MDCAT) is a crucial examination that aspiring medical and dental students in certain regions need to undertake in order to secure admission to reputable institutions. To aid students in understanding the examination format and preparing effectively, it is essential to delve into the structure, weightage, and difficulty levels of the MDCAT. This article aims to shed light on these important aspects, providing valuable insights for prospective test-takers.

Structure of the MDCAT

The MDCAT consists of a total of 200 multiple-choice questions (MCQs) and is conducted in a paper-based format. Test-takers are allotted 3.5 hours to complete the examination. It is important to note that there is no negative marking, which allows students to attempt all questions without the fear of losing marks for incorrect answers.

Weightage of Subjects

The MDCAT assigns different weightage to various subjects, reflecting their relative importance in the field of medicine and dentistry. The weightage for each subject is as follows:

  1. Biology: 34% (68 MCQs)
  2. Chemistry: 27% (54 MCQs)
  3. Physics: 27% (54 MCQs)
  4. English: 9% (18 MCQs)
  5. Logical Reasoning: 3% (6 MCQs)

The weightage provides an indication of the subject areas that require more attention during the preparation phase. Biology holds the highest weightage, followed by Chemistry and Physics. English and Logical Reasoning, although with lower weightage, are also integral components of the examination.

Difficulty Levels

The MDCAT features questions of varying difficulty levels to assess the depth of a candidate’s knowledge and ability to apply concepts. The difficulty levels are categorized as follows:

  1. Easy: 20% of MCQs
  2. Moderate: 60% of MCQs
  3. Hard: 20% of MCQs
READ ALSO:   PTUT Lahore B.Sc Admission 2023

The inclusion of questions at different difficulty levels ensures that candidates are tested comprehensively, from recalling basic facts to applying critical thinking and problem-solving skills. This diverse range of difficulty aids in evaluating the candidates’ overall aptitude for pursuing a career in medicine or dentistry.


Recall and Application Levels

In the sections of Biology, Chemistry, and Physics, the MDCAT examination emphasizes both recall and application-based questions. Approximately 70% of the questions in these subjects will test the candidates’ recall of fundamental concepts and factual knowledge. The remaining 30% will focus on assessing their ability to apply the acquired knowledge to real-world scenarios, encouraging critical thinking and analytical skills.

Pass Marks

The MDCAT has specific pass marks for admission to medical and dental colleges. Candidates aiming for medical college admission need to achieve a minimum score of 65%, while those aspiring for dental college admission must secure a minimum score of 55%. These pass marks act as benchmarks, determining a candidate’s eligibility for admission to their desired program.


Understanding the structure, weightage, and difficulty levels of the MDCAT is vital for students preparing for this highly competitive examination. By familiarizing themselves with the examination format, subject weightage, and levels of difficulty, candidates can strategize their preparation effectively, focusing on areas that carry greater weightage and adjusting their study plans to accommodate the different difficulty levels. With thorough preparation and a clear understanding of the examination, aspiring medical and dental students can increase their chances of achieving success in the MDCAT and securing admission to their desired institutions.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Close Ad